Our History

history image-1

1958

Ghana was the first English-speaking country in the region to receive Rotary through the initiative of an indigene, a peculiarly interesting history worth mentioning. Michael Daniel Quist, an accountant with an American oil company TEXACO in Accra, having studied in the UK got to know of Rotary in the UK and got interested enough to introduce it in Ghana. The Rotary Club of Accra was chartered followed by Rotary Clubs of Kano, Lagos and Ibadan in Nigeria, and Freetown in Sierra Leone.


1969

In Ghana, the Rotary Club of Accra – West, the second club, was chartered to accommodate the growing numbers of the Rotary Club of Accra.

history image-1

history image-1

1986

The Rotary Club of Accra – Ring Road Central owes its birth to the Rotary Club of Accra - West. It is interesting to note that the origins of the Rotary Club of Accra - Ring Road Central would be insignificant without reference to the determination and tenacity of the late Past District Governor (PDG) George Takyi in particular. PDG George Takyi personally took charge and invested a tremendous amount of passion and commitment to see the Rotary Club of Accra – Ring Road Central translated from an idea to viable proposition and finally to a reality on April 24, 1986. He is a sterling example of what a committed, determined individual can achieve and a vindication of Rotary's focus on providing an environment to groom potential leaders beyond their club duties. Rotary Club of Accra – Ring Road Central was the very first club in Ghana to admit a woman member in 1995 after Rotary International opened up its membership to women and we have a number of women and men playing prominent leadership roles in the club and district.